August 21, 2020
Wireless Empowers America’s Seniors
Now more than ever, wireless connectivity is essential to our daily lives—allowing us to stay in touch with loved ones, run businesses from our homes, use apps to improve health and fitness, and much more. 5G is playing a key role in enhancing these opportunities, providing faster, more reliable connections, lower latency and greater capacity for wireless users of all ages, including America’s seniors.
5G-Enabled Innovation Will Benefit Seniors
Seniors have greatly expanded their use of wireless to stay connected to their family and friends, work, hobbies and community.
In fact, 91% of seniors own a cell phone and the majority (53%) own a smartphone. In addition, IoT, wearable devices and other emerging technologies are helping to empower seniors to continue living vibrant, independent lives as they age. With the next generation of wireless, older generations of Americans will further benefit from the 5G-enabled innovations that will drastically enhance how all of us live, work and socialize.
- 5G & IoT will transform the possibilities for independent living and improved senior care. Wearable devices, such as smart watches, can connect to emergency contacts, monitor health data and alert the doctor’s office if there are health concerns.
- 5G-enabled telehealth capabilities and enhanced video communication will make remote healthcare and doctor consults more accessible and reliable for seniors.
- Smart, voice-activated devices can control everything around the home, from turning on appliances and lights to adjusting heating, cooling and security settings.
- Autonomous vehicles will increase mobility for seniors and their access to friends and loved ones, the community and employment. 5G is unlocking the full potential of autonomous vehicles by powering connections between vehicles, traffic infrastructure and emergency response.
- 5G-enabled technologies, like virtual and augmented reality, can make social and cultural opportunities more accessible for seniors, placing them in the middle of immersive and interactive virtual environments from the comfort of their homes.
Making Wireless Accessible to Seniors
CTIA’s Access Wireless offers wireless resources and other useful tools for seniors seeking to make informed choices about wireless devices and plans. Wireless devices, mobile apps and specific features can help seniors more actively embrace wireless technology to stay connected with friends and family, work from home, access important information and live independently.
Additional wireless industry resources and educational programs can help seniors feel more confident in using their mobile devices. Whether it’s understanding how to protect yourself against unwanted robocalls or learning the basics of how to use a cellphone, there are lots of trusted resources available for wireless consumers of all abilities.
We are proud to continue to empower seniors through wireless connectivity. From smart homes and IoT to autonomous vehicles and remote healthcare, 5G will usher in a new wave of innovation that will enhance the daily lives of America’s senior citizens for years to come.